Moving Your Vehicle
Our moving consultants at Westmount Moving & Warehousing are experienced in moving vehicles and can discuss the various options and documentation requirements with you. Depending on the circumstances, your moving consultant can advise whether the vehicle can be transported directly in the moving van, or whether a third party service is recommended. We can make all arrangements for you for the third party transport of your vehicle.
Preparing a vehicle for transport
- No personal belongings are permitted in the vehicle, but the following are considered part of the vehicle:
- Children's car seat when attached
- Spare tire and tire changing tools
- Driver's Manual
- Ice scraper and snow brush
- Jumper cables and minor tools (properly stowed)
- Car cover, including bra
- Alarm systems must be disabled prior to shipment
- Gas tank should be ½ full and top up other fluids
- Vehicle should be clean inside and out
- Make sure the battery is secure and has no leaks
- Secure any tears or open seams on convertible tops to prevent further damage.
The paperwork required for transporting your vehicle will vary depending on whether your move is within Canada or cross-border and depending on your particular circumstances. Your moving consultant at Westmount Moving will discuss the documentation requirements based on your circumstance.
Vehicle Condition Report
When the vehicle is picked up for transport, a Vehicle Condition Report should be completed and signed by you and the driver. The report will include the pickup date and location, delivery address, color, make, model, mileage, vehicle identification numbr (VIN) and a report of the condition of the vehicle (scratches, dents, paint condition, etc). You should keep a copy of this report.
You require a letter of permission from the leasing company to move a leased automobile to another city or province. Leasing companies normally do not allow a vehicle to be moved to or from the United States or other foreign countries.
Download this moving tip in printer friendly PDF format