Cross-border long distance moving - United States (US)/Canada Moving

Cross-Border Long Distance Moving - United States (US)/Canada Moving

Our moving consultants are highly experienced in handling the complexities of cross-border long distance moving between Canada and the United States. We understand the details involved and will walk you through the process in order to ensure a safe, secure and trouble-free cross-border move.

The rules and regulations vary depending on whether you are moving to Canada or moving from Canada and depending on your residency status. Experts in the field, we will provide you with all the necessary information and resources to make the process simple and efficient. Our services are thorough and can help make your Canada-US moving, or US-Canada moving experience as stress free as possible.

Westmount Moving is a “one stop shop” for all your cross-border long distance moving needs.

We provide the following Canada - US moving services

Your long distance driver and packers take care with all aspects of physically moving your belongings.

Our cross-border long distance moving services and assistance includes

  • Using protective coverings to protect your home and furniture
  • Preparing a detailed inventory of your household goods
  • Labeling each carton and piece of furniture with coded stickers
  • Loading your properly packed and inventoried items into the van
  • Providing a Bill of Lading (a shipping contract) authorizing transport of your goods
  • Finally, safely delivering your belongings to your new home!

Specially-trained packers can pack your belongings using only the highest-quality boxes, padding and packing material in order to fully protect your goods. Fragile items, such as valuable glassware and china, will be carefully packed in special boxes designed for optimum protection. If you prefer to pack your own items, please refer to our packing tips.

We can also provide you with information on importing alcohol or tobacco, firearms, pets, plants, etc.

US-Canada Moving (Moving to Canada)

When you are moving to Canada, your belongings will be delivered to your new residence once your shipment has cleared customs. You will be contacted to make arrangements by the van operator in order to meet at the manifested customs office to make your customs declaration.

The following documentation is required by the Customs Office:

  • Work Visa
  • Passport or Birth Certificate for each family member
  • Photo ID for main importer and spouse
  • Marriage certificate if spouse has different name
  • Employer's letter of intent
  • 2 copies of personal inventory listing, including current value in Canadian dollars
  • Copy of Bill of Lading including Completed Declaration of Value

Depending on your residency status, more information may be required to ensure smooth US-Canada moving. Please contact us to discuss the particular details of your move.

Canada-US Moving (Moving to US)

Westmount Moving has the expertise to simplify moving to the United States. We know what documentation is required and will guide you through the process, simplifying Canada-US moving. For moves to the USA, your personal household goods can enter duty free provided they have been in your possession and used by you for at least a year.

Unlike moves into Canada, when moving to the United States the van operator normally clears customs at the border and you are not required to be present. If US customs identifies any issues, your shipment will be placed in bond, to the nearest customs office to your new place of residence where you will be required to clear your goods in person.

Unless you are a returning US citizen, you should enter the United States before your shipment arrives at the border. The US customs office will verify the information when the van arrives at the border. Any person entering on a visa (for work or study) should complete the immigration process before the household goods cross the border so that your immigration status is properly established.

Required Documentation

For Canada-US moving, the following documentation is required, with the exact documentation requirements varying depending on residency status. Your Westmount cross-border moving consultant can provide the exact requirements based on your status: