The busy moving season is upon us once again! If you are planning a move, here are a few tips which might be helpful:
- Moving day is stressful for adults and even more so for children and pets. It is best to keep kids and pets away so that they stay safe and are not underfoot.
- For items that need to be taken apart, keep track of the small parts (screws, washers, etc) by putting them in labeled baggies that are put in a clearly identified Parts Box – that will save a lot of trouble when the time comes to put everything back together.
- If you are doing your own packing, please read up on proper packing techniques to ensure that your belongings arrive without damage. For example, did you know that plates need to be packed on edge rather than flat? Refer to our Moving Resources tab for Packing Tips and trade secrets.
- Take pictures of your electronic hookups. The pictures will help you get your electronics up and running at your new home
- Get it in writing! If you are using a professional mover, make sure you are provided a detailed written estimate and ask questions so you understand their policy regarding replacement cost protection and what will happen if the time or weight goes over estimate
- Understand your options with respect to replacement cost protection – some questions to ask include whether there is a deductible and the time delays you have to submitting a claim.
- Compare multiple quotes – it is a good idea to obtain several quotes for your move. In order to understand the quotes, be sure to compare apples to apples – for example, deductibles on replacement cost protection. Also – do not be fooled by a low ball time estimate unless the moving company is willing to guarantee in writing that they will stick to the estimate.